Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Day #3 -- Pig Smack

This is my first official day of retirement--so I was able to spend the entire day in the studio, painting.  First I did my daily painting--that makes #3 in the 30/30 challenge.  This is an 8 x 10, acrylics, painted on the edges.  
Next, I did a study piece for a commission that involves 2 large paintings depicting the archangel Michael slaying the 7 headed dragon.  It's been awhile since I painted any type of dragon, and I've never tried to paint anything from the Bible--so it's quite a challenge. The client wants the dragon on one canvas and Michael on the other, which will be another challenge for me because I need the two pieces to work together. This study is very rough--no details on the dragon other than base color and shape, placement of eyes, etc.  The background I borrowed from Raphael's painting although I'll be adding my own little spin to it in the final piece.  If you're familiar with the story of Michael and the dragon, the dragon has 7 heads, 10 horns and 3 crowns--and is red.  Each head represents one of the seven deadly sins.  I decided not to make each head different--but the client may decide later  that's what she wants.

So, that's it for me! Check back tomorrow for the next daily piece and maybe an update on the commission. 

No comments: