Thursday, August 11, 2011

I'm wearing cupcakes!

The other night I was playing with my new stash of polymer clay, and ended up making these cute little cupcake earrings. Had to remind the hubby that, no, they are not little candies and eating them could be detrimental to his health (in more way than one....but I digress...)  For the first time out, I don't think they're too bad, but the important thing is:  it was fun! Now I've got all sorts of ideas for other types of jewelry--so check back soon.

One of my co-workers commissioned me the other day to make a bracelet for her niece's birthday. The niece's birthstone is the ruby, but since genuine rubies are expensive, we opted for red wooden and glass beads, and pewter flowers.  Because I was enjoying myself so much (and being the generous person I am), I made a pair of earrings to match.


While I was making the cupcakes, I also made some more beads--swirls matching the frosting on the cupcakes, in round shapes.  I tried to make milleflora beads, but they didn't quite come out the way I wanted. I went ahead and finished them, and someday maybe I'll use them in something....don't Japanese artists deliberately leave imperfections in their work because nothing in this world is perfect?  Works for me!

I had to cancel my attendance at the art show in Somerset, Kentucky this weekend. I have a pet portrait commission that I need to work on, and the deadline is looming.  And did I mention I have yardwork to do as well?  While I've been playing, the weeds and grass (which is now mostly weeds) have been growing like...well....weeds!  Time to put on my "rocket man" pack and spray! Normally I don't like to use chemicals, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I'm losing the weed war, and I hate to lose--and besides, watching me wander around the yard with a big ol' backpack full of poisonous liquid strapped on, I'm sure, is quite entertaining to the neighbors.  Or maybe just plain scary. 

Anyway, I'll be posting pics of my pet portrait in progress in a day or so.  Stay tuned!

No comments: