Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Let It Snow, Let It Snow!

Woke up to a wintery scene this morning and just couldn't resist grabbing the camera and taking some quick photos. Here's my neighbor's barn and a couple of my back and side yards.

At first the snowflakes were tiny and barely visible. Then they'd switch to big fat ones, and then it became more like sleet. Eventually, they were mostly big and fat again. Reminded me of my days in upstate New York. When I went out to shovel off my car, it seemed fairly warm, and the snow was nice and heavy--great for building a snowman or for a friendly snowball fight. Unfortunately I didn't have time for either. And now the weather has turned colder and much more nasty. But it was cool while it lasted.

So, with nothing else to do all day, I decided to spend time in the studio, catching up on things that have been set aside way too long. Like paperwork. Bookkeeping. Yuck. I hate doing that. I make a much better artist than I do a business person. Once upon a time I had a business plan, and kept meticulous records. Unfortunately, life has a way of interrupting things like plans. So today I sat down at my desk, opened every drawer, and dug through the junk that had collected there. It's amazing what can be found: notes I'd made to myself that no longer mean a thing to me. Little bits of papers with numbers, half sentences in completely illegible handwriting. Several months worth of magazines never read. My little shredder earned its keep today. And it feels good to clear the clutter. My files, while not completely in order, at least make some sense to me and are no longer crammed full of "stuff."

And at the end of the day, I have a new sense of direction. And dare I say it? Plans. Yep. We'll see how that goes.



































1 comment:

Fanciful Expressions said...

I know what you mean Stephanie. I much prefer making jewelry to doing the business side of things. Mine's a mess. Stay warm and wish for spring.