Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day and I'm Still Working...

I hope everyone is having a great Valentine's Day. I know some people think it's just another ploy to get people to spend money, and the pressure is on for folks (let's face it, mainly guys) to get out and buy something to give to their sweetie, significant other, loved one, etc. I choose to view it as another chance to tell the people who matter to me how grateful I am to have them in my life--and that costs me nothing!  So forget about rushing to the store to get that box of candy or piece of jewelry--and give the greatest gift: love. And to all my friends and family: Happy Valentine's Day. I love you!

Okay, enough of the sentimental stuff. Sometimes, when you least expect it, a flash of brilliance strikes and leaves you wondering why you didn't think of it before. Well such flashes don't occur to me very often, but when they do I feel the need to run with them. This one hit me this morning, while I was surfing through various artists' websites and trying to come up with something I could do that would really keep me interested and motivated. I have always loved painting faces--not just human ones, but animals of all kinds. And I am also a big supporter of animal rights, the Humane Society and now, Shelby County's No Kill Mission. I haven't thought it completely through yet, and I need to talk to the powers-that-be at the shelter and the other groups, but what I have in mind, if it works out, would be an art related project that would benefit shelter animals, as well as get my artwork out more in the public.  This is not a new idea--just new to me. Since I haven't worked out all the details yet, I will hold off posting all the "rough" thoughts here. But I think it might work. Stay tuned.

Here is a site I stumbled on that has a lot of solid information for artists looking for encouragement and marketing ideas. 

I'd Rather Be in the Studio!I’d Rather Be in the Studio! The Artist’s No-Excuse Guide to Self-Promotion is for artists of all kinds. Painters, sculptors, ceramist, jewelers, photographers, and others will benefit from the easy-to-follow self-promotion practices in this book.


Author and art-marketing consultant Alyson B. Stanfield, of ArtBizCoach.com, focuses on sharing the artwork directly with potential buyers through electronic and traditional communication outlets—in a manner that is comfortable, not artificial. Artists match Internet marketing strategies with sincere personal skills to take charge of their art careers.


The book includes online worksheets and downloads.
 
Check it out!

1 comment:

Alyson B. Stanfield said...

Stephanie: So glad you stumbled on my site and book! Thank you for mentioning it. Come back often.