Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wednesday = Hump Day

Spent the entire day in the studio, something I should be doing much more often. But you all know how life gets in the way. However, thanks to the snow, I had a free day today and tried to make the most of it.  I decided to start on my new project: Art for Shelter Animals. I still need to speak with the No Kill Shelter, but my plan is to do a series of portraits of some of the many animals housed at the shelter. I haven't worked out all the details yet, but I'm thinking I might give the paintings to the shelter, and let them do what they want with them. Sell them, auction them, or keep them. Or, I could have a show this time next year, and auction off one or two pieces...I don't know yet.  But the other half of this project is to get back to daily painting--so these portraits will be small, nothing bigger than 9 x 12.  I haven't had much success at completing a painting a day--two days is the record for me so far. But having a daily or semi-daily deadline forces me to work quickly and loosely--which is the way I like to paint anyway. Now I hesitate to post this, because it isn't finished, but here is the first shelter animal portrait work in progress. 
This is Sammy.  The painting is in what I call the "ugly" stage--everything has been laid in and now I'm working on details and fine tuning, adjusting the colors.  The eyes still need work. This is in acylics, on canvas board. 

I really love doing portraits--animals or humans. I've always been fascinated by faces.  Doesn't this little buy look happy? It's a shame he's stuck in a shelter. Maybe by painting some of these beautiful creatures, they will find forever homes.
I'm hoping to finish this tomorrow and move on to the next one: a kitty cat!

No comments: